Old 20-07-2009, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Help with gorwing cauliflowers please

"Broadback" wrote ...
My cauliflowers grow beautifully, large healthy plants, but the curds oh
dear! Not enough for a mini snack, I tried leaving them but they grow no
bigger, only open up and become useless for the table. Any help please to
get decent sized curds and when best to harvest.

No doubt you have already checked the pH of your soil, all brassicas like it
over 7.
We tend not to grow summer Caulis, too much other stuff to eat, but do grow
those that crop in spring, April, and those are always large and free from
pests.
Plant the young plants deep in fertile ground, we use Rootrainers so no root
disturbance when transplanting, firm in and puddle in well, keep moist at
all times, do not allow any check to growth. That said we have never found
them too precious.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden