Old 20-07-2009, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help with gorwing cauliflowers please

My cauliflowers grow beautifully, large healthy plants, but the curds oh
dear! Not enough for a mini snack, I tried leaving them but they grow no
bigger, only open up and become useless for the table. Any help please
to get decent sized curds and when best to harvest.
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"Broadback" wrote in message
My cauliflowers grow beautifully, large healthy plants, but the curds oh
dear! Not enough for a mini snack, I tried leaving them but they grow no
bigger, only open up and become useless for the table. Any help please to
get decent sized curds and when best to harvest.

I've always had trouble with caulis, and the only way I've found to stop
them opening up is to grow them on really well stamped down ground. Disturb
the roots as little as possible and when you transplant them into their
final position bury them up to their first leaf (and tread them in well).
That said, my caulis are still nowhere near show winners but at least I get
enough off each to feed us.

When to harvest depends on the variety / planting times. I think "harvest
when ready" sums it up :-)

Hope this helps.

Tom

Old 20-07-2009, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 20, 9:37*am, "Tom" wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message

My cauliflowers grow beautifully, large healthy plants, but the curds oh
dear! Not enough for a mini snack, I tried leaving them but they grow no
bigger, only open up and become useless for the table. Any help please to
get decent sized curds and when best to harvest.

*I've always had trouble with caulis, and the only way I've found to stop
them opening up is to grow them on really well stamped down ground. Disturb
the roots as little as possible and when you transplant them into their
final position bury them up to their first leaf (and tread them in well).
That said, my caulis are still nowhere near show winners but at least I get
enough off each to feed us.

When to harvest depends on the variety / planting times. I think "harvest
when ready" sums it up :-)

*Hope this helps.

* Tom

I was going to say firm ground, in fact I just skim the surface to get
rid of any weeds, also I rip off the top of the plant just before I
plant it; I was told that years ago although I can't remember the
reasoning behind it.

Judith
Old 20-07-2009, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote ...
My cauliflowers grow beautifully, large healthy plants, but the curds oh
dear! Not enough for a mini snack, I tried leaving them but they grow no
bigger, only open up and become useless for the table. Any help please to
get decent sized curds and when best to harvest.

No doubt you have already checked the pH of your soil, all brassicas like it
over 7.
We tend not to grow summer Caulis, too much other stuff to eat, but do grow
those that crop in spring, April, and those are always large and free from
pests.
Plant the young plants deep in fertile ground, we use Rootrainers so no root
disturbance when transplanting, firm in and puddle in well, keep moist at
all times, do not allow any check to growth. That said we have never found
them too precious.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Cauliflowers any tips and a bit of help.... JP in Lon United Kingdom 1 17-08-2006 12:27 AM
Advice ref: protection for Cabbage/Cauliflowers please [email protected] United Kingdom 4 31-07-2006 10:37 PM
Cauliflowers Pushkin United Kingdom 7 27-02-2006 09:59 PM
Cauliflowers Glenda United Kingdom 4 29-03-2005 07:45 PM
Cauliflowers Nancy Australia 2 06-12-2004 01:19 PM