Old 21-07-2009, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Surprises in the vegetable garden this year

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
My 20x20 garden is strange this year. I am having a bumper crop of
volunteer butternut squash!

Doing well: peppers, stawberries, potatoes, parsley
Not doing well: tomatoes, radishes
OK: cucumbers

I planted zuchinni and have none.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...s/DSCF5935.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...s/DSCF5979.JPG

This grew out of the compost pile back under the tree. the main vine you see
growing towards the camera grows about six inches a day. The side vines,
which you can't see very well in this pic, grow faster. This was a week
ago - today it's taken over half of the bed you see to the right. I have no
idea how big this monster is going to get. I can't wait to see what kind of
fruit it grows - there is no telling what it is crossed with, as I grew
about ten types of squash last year, including 2 different pumpkins and an
Atlantic monster squash of some sort.

Looks like pumpkin to me.
--

- Billy

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson