Old 19-07-2009, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Surprises in the vegetable garden this year

My 20x20 garden is strange this year. I am having a bumper crop of
volunteer butternut squash!

Doing well: peppers, stawberries, potatoes, parsley
Not doing well: tomatoes, radishes
OK: cucumbers

I planted zuchinni and have none.

Old 20-07-2009, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
My 20x20 garden is strange this year. I am having a bumper crop of
volunteer butternut squash!

Doing well: peppers, stawberries, potatoes, parsley
Not doing well: tomatoes, radishes
OK: cucumbers

I planted zuchinni and have none.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...s/DSCF5935.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...s/DSCF5979.JPG

This grew out of the compost pile back under the tree. the main vine you see
growing towards the camera grows about six inches a day. The side vines,
which you can't see very well in this pic, grow faster. This was a week
ago - today it's taken over half of the bed you see to the right. I have no
idea how big this monster is going to get. I can't wait to see what kind of
fruit it grows - there is no telling what it is crossed with, as I grew
about ten types of squash last year, including 2 different pumpkins and an
Atlantic monster squash of some sort.

Old 20-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisherman[_3_] View Post
My 20x20 garden is strange this year. I am having a bumper crop of
volunteer butternut squash!

Doing well: peppers, stawberries, potatoes, parsley
Not doing well: tomatoes, radishes
OK: cucumbers

I planted zuchinni and have none.
which you can't see very well in this pic, grow faster. This was a week
ago - today it's taken over half of the bed you see to the right.I can't wait to see what kind of fruit it grows - there is no telling what it is crossed with, as I grew about ten types of squash last year, including 2 different pumpkins and an Atlantic monster squash of some sort.
__________________
http://Garden-Planters.com
Old 21-07-2009, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

[...]

Looks like pumpkin to me.
--

- Billy

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson

Old 22-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisherman[_3_] View Post
My 20x20 garden is strange this year. I am having a bumper crop of
volunteer butternut squash!

Doing well: peppers, stawberries, potatoes, parsley
Not doing well: tomatoes, radishes
OK: cucumbers

I planted zuchinni and have none.
Hi,
Often referred to as the lazy gardener's vegetables, perennials in the vegetable patch are a surprise to many gardeners.
We offer information on making your own vegetable garden in your yard. ... our vegetable garden and will continue to plant more and more each year as long as they grow. ... garden to see what they can produce. You may surprise yourself.
__________________
http://Garden-Planters.com

Old 22-07-2009, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

[...]

It's just now starting to set fruit, and they do indeed look like pumpkin,
maybe with a touch of zuchinni. I wasn't sure what the fruit would look
like, as I tossed a lot of scrap into the compost pile last year. A few
years ago I planted seeds from an acorn squash, and while they grew nice
long vines, the fruit was varied and weird. Tasty, but strangly shaped. This
monster is half again as big as it was when I took the pics. I am amazed at
how fast it grows! The side runners grow 10-12 inches a day! The main runner
keeps heading deeper and deeper into the garden, with no sign of slowing
down. It's huge!

Old 22-07-2009, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of Tahitian Squash. Great keeper and sort of like a very
big carrot. Don't have enough sun these days here but worth a look.

http://www.specialtyproduce.com/index.php?item=3934

I've stored them under my bed for about six months. Tough and tasty.

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://prototype.nytimes.com/gst/articleSkimmer/

[IMG] code is On

Vegetable Garden Programs for Participating Vegetable Growers Shai Lawns 0 11-08-2010 09:51 AM
Retrun from vaction surprises bob7094 Ponds 1 04-09-2003 04:02 AM
All sorts of pond surprises! :) Chad Ponds 16 17-08-2003 10:22 PM
Little Surprises Barbara2245 Ponds 2 02-08-2003 03:02 PM
spines and summer surprises, summer regulars and total garden MADNESS again........... madgardener Gardening 4 10-07-2003 03:20 AM