Old 21-07-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Replacing diseased tree

On 20 July, 22:46, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
Last year our 15yr old Laburnum started leaning over pecariously but it
seemed to be otherwise okay (if a bit wobbly). *This year however after
flowering the leaves all turned yellow & withered and when I cut a branh
off, the heart wood was black. *I suspect some sort of fungal infestation
(perhaps entered through damaged roots?)

Anyway, I've chopped it down and dug up as many of the roots as I can. *Is
it safe to replant a new tree in the same spot? *(It won't be another
Laburnum).

Tim

As Mark has said, the dark heartwood is normal and turners love it. As
to cause of death - even with a full lab post-mortem it's often
difficult or impossible to come to a firm conclusion, there are so
many potential pathogens in a normal good soil that it's difficult to
finger anything with certainty as the cause of death.
So don't worry, just plant something you like and there's a reasonable
chance that it will be OK.