Old 20-07-2009, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacing diseased tree

Last year our 15yr old Laburnum started leaning over pecariously but it
seemed to be otherwise okay (if a bit wobbly). This year however after
flowering the leaves all turned yellow & withered and when I cut a branh
off, the heart wood was black. I suspect some sort of fungal infestation
(perhaps entered through damaged roots?)

Anyway, I've chopped it down and dug up as many of the roots as I can. Is
it safe to replant a new tree in the same spot? (It won't be another
Laburnum).

Tim

Old 21-07-2009, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Last year our 15yr old Laburnum started leaning over pecariously but it
seemed to be otherwise okay (if a bit wobbly). This year however after
flowering the leaves all turned yellow & withered and when I cut a branh
off, the heart wood was black. I suspect some sort of fungal infestation
(perhaps entered through damaged roots?)

Anyway, I've chopped it down and dug up as many of the roots as I can. Is
it safe to replant a new tree in the same spot? (It won't be another
Laburnum).

Tim

The heartwood of laburnam is very dark in a healthy tree.

mark

Old 21-07-2009, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Last year our 15yr old Laburnum started leaning over pecariously but it
seemed to be otherwise okay (if a bit wobbly). This year however after
flowering the leaves all turned yellow & withered and when I cut a branh
off, the heart wood was black. I suspect some sort of fungal infestation
(perhaps entered through damaged roots?)

Anyway, I've chopped it down and dug up as many of the roots as I can.
Is it safe to replant a new tree in the same spot? (It won't be another
Laburnum).

Tim

The heartwood of laburnam is very dark in a healthy tree.

Never knew that. Thanks. Still think the tree as doomed though. ;-)

Tim

mark

Old 21-07-2009, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Downie" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Last year our 15yr old Laburnum started leaning over pecariously but it
seemed to be otherwise okay (if a bit wobbly). This year however after
flowering the leaves all turned yellow & withered and when I cut a branh
off, the heart wood was black. I suspect some sort of fungal
infestation (perhaps entered through damaged roots?)

Anyway, I've chopped it down and dug up as many of the roots as I can.
Is it safe to replant a new tree in the same spot? (It won't be another
Laburnum).

Tim

The heartwood of laburnam is very dark in a healthy tree.

Never knew that. Thanks. Still think the tree as doomed though. ;-)

Tim

Because of the dark heartwood any local wood turners will be keen to take it
off your hands, judging by my experience from when I cut one down.

mark

Old 21-07-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 20 July, 22:46, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
Last year our 15yr old Laburnum started leaning over pecariously but it
seemed to be otherwise okay (if a bit wobbly). *This year however after
flowering the leaves all turned yellow & withered and when I cut a branh
off, the heart wood was black. *I suspect some sort of fungal infestation
(perhaps entered through damaged roots?)

Anyway, I've chopped it down and dug up as many of the roots as I can. *Is
it safe to replant a new tree in the same spot? *(It won't be another
Laburnum).

Tim

As Mark has said, the dark heartwood is normal and turners love it. As
to cause of death - even with a full lab post-mortem it's often
difficult or impossible to come to a firm conclusion, there are so
many potential pathogens in a normal good soil that it's difficult to
finger anything with certainty as the cause of death.
So don't worry, just plant something you like and there's a reasonable
chance that it will be OK.

Old 21-07-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Tim Downie" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Last year our 15yr old Laburnum started leaning over pecariously but it
seemed to be otherwise okay (if a bit wobbly). This year however after
flowering the leaves all turned yellow & withered and when I cut a
branh off, the heart wood was black. I suspect some sort of fungal
infestation (perhaps entered through damaged roots?)

Anyway, I've chopped it down and dug up as many of the roots as I can.
Is it safe to replant a new tree in the same spot? (It won't be
another Laburnum).

Tim

The heartwood of laburnam is very dark in a healthy tree.

Never knew that. Thanks. Still think the tree as doomed though. ;-)

Tim

Because of the dark heartwood any local wood turners will be keen to take
it off your hands, judging by my experience from when I cut one down.

Already offered it on Freecycle (and expecting someone in the next hour or
so).

Tim

Old 21-07-2009, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message

So don't worry, just plant something you like and there's a reasonable
chance that it will be OK.

Cheers Rod. That's what I wanted to know.

Tim

Old 22-07-2009, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 21 July, 18:47, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

*So don't worry, just plant something you like and there's a reasonable
*chance that it will be OK.

Cheers Rod. *That's what I wanted to know.

Tim

What I didn't say is the usual stuff about investigating the physical
and environmental conditions. Insecure on it's roots? Waterlogging,
drought, badly compacted, shallow or panned soil etc. Also a lot of
people grossly underestimate the extent of the tree's roots and do a
lot of digging etc in the root zone - the feeding roots extend well
beyond the canopy and any disturbance in that area should be kept to a
minimum. For the same reason when preparing for planting prepare an
area many times wider than the root spread of your new tree and keep
it clear for at least a few years.