Old 22-07-2009, 08:11 AM
gardenplanters gardenplanters is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Hello,

I don’t even know if you can do what I want to do. I have a birch tree
that is dying. I knew they were short-lived trees whenever I planted
it over 20 years ago. It is on my hillside and I have chicken wire on
the hill helping hold the mulch on it since it is pretty steep, so I
have a mess on my hands.

The tree is about 20-feet tall now. It is a clump birch with three
trunks. Each trunk is about the size of, say, a softball or smaller.

I believe I can cut it down and get a fair amount of roots out. If I
wait a few years, can I plant in exactly the same spot? Or would I be
forced to move 6-8 feet away? If it is the latter, I simply cannot do
it. Could I plant anything in the same hole? A tall bush or something,
at least? The tree helped shade my deck plus I sort of “need” the
height, if you know what I mean…

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
ray
Hi,brooklyn1
Now, we are having a drought this year and it has been quite cool all
summer. In fact, we are about four inches below normal in rainfall.
BUT...I live on an old farm homestead and where this tree is planted
run five underground springs that always have some water running
through them. (In fact, whenever I added an addition onto the house
12 years ago, we were in a worst drought than we are experiencing now
and I broke ground the last week of July. All five springs were
pouring water out so fast that there was almost four feet of water in
a 15x25 hole overnight.)
http://Garden-Planters.com