Old 22-07-2009, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Replacing diseased tree

On 21 July, 18:47, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

*So don't worry, just plant something you like and there's a reasonable
*chance that it will be OK.

Cheers Rod. *That's what I wanted to know.

Tim

What I didn't say is the usual stuff about investigating the physical
and environmental conditions. Insecure on it's roots? Waterlogging,
drought, badly compacted, shallow or panned soil etc. Also a lot of
people grossly underestimate the extent of the tree's roots and do a
lot of digging etc in the root zone - the feeding roots extend well
beyond the canopy and any disturbance in that area should be kept to a
minimum. For the same reason when preparing for planting prepare an
area many times wider than the root spread of your new tree and keep
it clear for at least a few years.