Old 22-07-2009, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Chainsaw replacement choice - Makita or Husqvarna?

Davy wrote:
David in Normandy wrote in news:4a673fbc
:

Bob Hobden wrote:
A Husqvarna dealer will also carry spares
IME (not that I've needed any).

I've got a Husqvarna petrol chainsaw. I made the mistake of not

draining
out the chain oil between uses and now it doesn't lubricate the chain
properly during use. I've given it a good clean but cannot find the
cause of the problem short of doing a major dismantle. On more online
investigation I've heard of people having problems like this before

and
the oil pump or whatever it is seizes up if the oil is left in! Not

sure
if this is just a Husqvarna problem or a chainsaw issue in general.

I bought an AL-KO chainsaw and the instructions stated that if not used
for a month then the oil should be drained and replaced by ordinary
engine oil. I didn't use it for 32 days and when I tried to use it the
oil delivery might have been blocked cos the oil feed pipe blew off. On
this group I asked about the need to drain oil on chainsaws and all the
replies said no. So I am interested that someone had a similar problem
with Husqvana.
Some people have replied stating that Husqvana is reliable but without
stating whether they drain the oil if not used for a month.

It all sounds a bit wierd to me. I tend[ed] to use my, now dead,
Bosch chainsaw in bursts with several months of idleness in between.
The chain oil never caused problems. Neither did it cause any
problems with an even older B&D chain saw. The chain oil doesn't dry
up in the bottles it's supplied in so why would it dry up in the saw?

(N.B. the Bosch chainsaw is dead because one of the motor bearings has
failed, nothing to do with the chain oil)

--
Chris Green