Old 22-07-2009, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chainsaw replacement choice - Makita or Husqvarna?

My old Bosch chainsaw has died after several years of hard use, no
complaints really but I'd quite like something a little better (easier
to use, more ergonomic, etc.) to replace it.

I have narrowed the choice down to two:-

Husqvarna 321EL
Makita UC4030A

Both are new models with the motor 'lengthways' so they're much
slimmer than most electric chainsaws. They're pretty similar as
regard specification - 16"/40cm bar, 2000 watt motor, 4.4kg., about
£150 with the Husqvarna being a little more expensive.

So does anyone have any comments about either or which might be the
better buy. I'm quite happy to think about other chainsaws in the
same sort of price range (or less).

--
Chris Green

Old 22-07-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Green wrote
My old Bosch chainsaw has died after several years of hard use, no
complaints really but I'd quite like something a little better (easier
to use, more ergonomic, etc.) to replace it.

I have narrowed the choice down to two:-

Husqvarna 321EL
Makita UC4030A

Both are new models with the motor 'lengthways' so they're much
slimmer than most electric chainsaws. They're pretty similar as
regard specification - 16"/40cm bar, 2000 watt motor, 4.4kg., about
£150 with the Husqvarna being a little more expensive.

So does anyone have any comments about either or which might be the
better buy. I'm quite happy to think about other chainsaws in the
same sort of price range (or less).

I have a Makita cordless hand drill and a Husqvarna petrol strimmer and both
are well made and have been reliable over the years.
Husqvarna are probably only second to Stihl for petrol chainsaws so any
chainsaw from them should be good. A Husqvarna dealer will also carry spares
IME (not that I've needed any).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-07-2009, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
A Husqvarna dealer will also carry spares
IME (not that I've needed any).

I've got a Husqvarna petrol chainsaw. I made the mistake of not draining
out the chain oil between uses and now it doesn't lubricate the chain
properly during use. I've given it a good clean but cannot find the
cause of the problem short of doing a major dismantle. On more online
investigation I've heard of people having problems like this before and
the oil pump or whatever it is seizes up if the oil is left in! Not sure
if this is just a Husqvarna problem or a chainsaw issue in general. I
must say the saw itself seems reliable and quite robust. It took a while
to master starting it though - choke fully out, one pull, choke half in
then pull until it starts, then close choke when up to speed! Easy once
you know how, otherwise a real pain in the a***.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 22-07-2009, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 wrote:
My old Bosch chainsaw has died after several years of hard use, no
complaints really but I'd quite like something a little better (easier
to use, more ergonomic, etc.) to replace it.

I have narrowed the choice down to two:-

Husqvarna 321EL
Makita UC4030A

I've had a Husqvarna for more than ten years and never had any problems
with it. Good solid job.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 22-07-2009, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote in news:4a673fbc
:

Bob Hobden wrote:
A Husqvarna dealer will also carry spares
IME (not that I've needed any).

I've got a Husqvarna petrol chainsaw. I made the mistake of not

draining
out the chain oil between uses and now it doesn't lubricate the chain
properly during use. I've given it a good clean but cannot find the
cause of the problem short of doing a major dismantle. On more online
investigation I've heard of people having problems like this before

and
the oil pump or whatever it is seizes up if the oil is left in! Not

sure
if this is just a Husqvarna problem or a chainsaw issue in general.

I bought an AL-KO chainsaw and the instructions stated that if not used
for a month then the oil should be drained and replaced by ordinary
engine oil. I didn't use it for 32 days and when I tried to use it the
oil delivery might have been blocked cos the oil feed pipe blew off. On
this group I asked about the need to drain oil on chainsaws and all the
replies said no. So I am interested that someone had a similar problem
with Husqvana.
Some people have replied stating that Husqvana is reliable but without
stating whether they drain the oil if not used for a month.

DAvy

Old 22-07-2009, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

It all sounds a bit wierd to me. I tend[ed] to use my, now dead,
Bosch chainsaw in bursts with several months of idleness in between.
The chain oil never caused problems. Neither did it cause any
problems with an even older B&D chain saw. The chain oil doesn't dry
up in the bottles it's supplied in so why would it dry up in the saw?

(N.B. the Bosch chainsaw is dead because one of the motor bearings has
failed, nothing to do with the chain oil)

--
Chris Green

Old 22-07-2009, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 Davy wrote:

Some people have replied stating that Husqvana is reliable but without
stating whether they drain the oil if not used for a month.

I've never drained my Husqvarna which I've had for around ten years, and
not had any problems.

David

http://rance.org.uk