Old 23-07-2009, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Plant I.D. needed.

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:45:18 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:25:56 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Billy wrote:

Plant whose tag got lost two years ago are starting to bloom.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
The first plant (plant_1) has reddish stalks and looks like a mint.
I'm beginning to think that this is Scutellaria serrata. Can anyone
confirm or refute that identification?

Could be. I grew skullcap for a couple of years before it died out. It
looked a lot like that but it's been quite a few years. Next time
you're stressed out, make a tea. If it calms you down, it's probably
skullcap. g (I tinctured up enough that I don't need to grow it for
another year or 3. Good herb, skullcap.)

Kate

There are a half dozen different skullcaps. Some are VW Bugs and some
are Ferraris. Scutellaria serrata is the wheel barrow. Scutellaria
baicalensis is the Ferrai. One of my suppliers screwed up. Drinking a
cup of this, would only send a mild mannered person into a towering rage
(if they were expecting baicalensis). As far as I can tell, it is an
ornamental, and a poor one at that.

I grew Scutellaria lateriflora, which is I believe the most common
variety for medicinal uses.

Kate

It would be in your neck of the woods. Scutellaria lateriflora is also
known as the "Virginian Skullcap" (Antispasmodic; Astringent; Diuretic;
Emmenagogue; Miscellany; Nervine; Sedative; Tonic) and seems to be of
the same quality as
Scutellaria galericulata, a.k.a. "Common Skullcap"(Antiinflammatory;
Antispasmodic; Astringent; Febrifuge; Nervine; Tonic).

Then there is Scutellaria baicalensis, Anodyne; Antibacterial;
Anticholesterolemic; Antipyretic; Antispasmodic; Astringent; Cholagogue;
Diuretic; Expectorant; Febrifuge; Haemostatic; Laxative; Nervine;
Sedative; Stomachic; TB; Tonic.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_...ES=Scutellaria
--

- Billy

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson