Old 22-07-2009, 07:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Plant I.D. needed.

Plant whose tag got lost two years ago are starting to bloom.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
The first plant (plant_1) has reddish stalks and looks like a mint.
The second plant has large leaves.
Any ideas?
--

- Billy

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson

Old 22-07-2009, 07:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
Plant whose tag got lost two years ago are starting to bloom.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
The first plant (plant_1) has reddish stalks and looks like a mint.
The second plant has large leaves.
Any ideas?

This looks the same as last time. Where am I looking this time?

David
Old 22-07-2009, 11:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy said:

Plant whose tag got lost two years ago are starting to bloom.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
The first plant (plant_1) has reddish stalks and looks like a mint.
The second plant has large leaves.
Any ideas?

The mint with reddish stems is...some sort of mint (Mentha).
What does is smell/taste like?

The other plant looks like a some sort of burdock (Arctium sp.).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 22-07-2009, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Billy said:

Plant whose tag got lost two years ago are starting to bloom.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
The first plant (plant_1) has reddish stalks and looks like a mint.
The second plant has large leaves.
Any ideas?

The mint with reddish stems is...some sort of mint (Mentha).
What does is smell/taste like?

No descernable smell or taste.

The other plant looks like a some sort of burdock (Arctium sp.).

Bingo, Arctium lappa - L.
I don't remember planting it, and it certainly didn't flower last year.
Thank you, Pat.

Old 22-07-2009, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
Plant whose tag got lost two years ago are starting to bloom.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
The first plant (plant_1) has reddish stalks and looks like a mint.
The second plant has large leaves.
Any ideas?

This looks the same as last time. Where am I looking this time?

David

Just below the pictures it says "Latest Albums". Click on the album name
"Unknown Plant".
I navigate by clicking on "Albums" below "TinyPic Member" and across
from "Home".
Thanks.

Old 23-07-2009, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Billy wrote:

Plant whose tag got lost two years ago are starting to bloom.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
The first plant (plant_1) has reddish stalks and looks like a mint.

I'm beginning to think that this is Scutellaria serrata. Can anyone
confirm or refute that identification?

The second plant has large leaves.
Any ideas?

Looks good that the large leaves is Great Burdock.

Old 23-07-2009, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:25:56 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Billy wrote:

Plant whose tag got lost two years ago are starting to bloom.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
The first plant (plant_1) has reddish stalks and looks like a mint.

I'm beginning to think that this is Scutellaria serrata. Can anyone
confirm or refute that identification?

Could be. I grew skullcap for a couple of years before it died out. It
looked a lot like that but it's been quite a few years. Next time
you're stressed out, make a tea. If it calms you down, it's probably
skullcap. g (I tinctured up enough that I don't need to grow it for
another year or 3. Good herb, skullcap.)

Kate

Old 23-07-2009, 06:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:25:56 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Billy wrote:

Plant whose tag got lost two years ago are starting to bloom.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
The first plant (plant_1) has reddish stalks and looks like a mint.

I'm beginning to think that this is Scutellaria serrata. Can anyone
confirm or refute that identification?

Could be. I grew skullcap for a couple of years before it died out. It
looked a lot like that but it's been quite a few years. Next time
you're stressed out, make a tea. If it calms you down, it's probably
skullcap. g (I tinctured up enough that I don't need to grow it for
another year or 3. Good herb, skullcap.)

Kate

There are a half dozen different skullcaps. Some are VW Bugs and some
are Ferraris. Scutellaria serrata is the wheel barrow. Scutellaria
baicalensis is the Ferrai. One of my suppliers screwed up. Drinking a
cup of this, would only send a mild mannered person into a towering rage
(if they were expecting baicalensis). As far as I can tell, it is an
ornamental, and a poor one at that.

Old 23-07-2009, 12:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Billy said:

Plant whose tag got lost two years ago are starting to bloom.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
The first plant (plant_1) has reddish stalks and looks like a mint.
The second plant has large leaves.
Any ideas?

The mint with reddish stems is...some sort of mint (Mentha).
What does is smell/taste like?

No descernable smell or taste.

The other plant looks like a some sort of burdock (Arctium sp.).

Bingo, Arctium lappa - L.
I don't remember planting it, and it certainly didn't flower last year.
Thank you, Pat.
--

Yep, second plant is definately burdock, I raise it for the seeds,
leaves and roots to use as a supplement for blood sugar control.

If I remember correctly, burdock will not bloom the first year it is
planted,
mine have been coming back from some of the roots that get left and produce
seed every year. Might not work this way in a colder climate.

Burdock can be quite invasive, if you don't wat it spreading clip the seed
heads before they began shedding seed.

basilisk

Old 23-07-2009, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:45:18 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:25:56 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Billy wrote:

[...]

I grew Scutellaria lateriflora, which is I believe the most common
variety for medicinal uses.

Kate

Old 23-07-2009, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:45:18 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:25:56 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Billy wrote:

[...]

It would be in your neck of the woods. Scutellaria lateriflora is also
known as the "Virginian Skullcap" (Antispasmodic; Astringent; Diuretic;
Emmenagogue; Miscellany; Nervine; Sedative; Tonic) and seems to be of
the same quality as
Scutellaria galericulata, a.k.a. "Common Skullcap"(Antiinflammatory;
Antispasmodic; Astringent; Febrifuge; Nervine; Tonic).

Then there is Scutellaria baicalensis, Anodyne; Antibacterial;
Anticholesterolemic; Antipyretic; Antispasmodic; Astringent; Cholagogue;
Diuretic; Expectorant; Febrifuge; Haemostatic; Laxative; Nervine;
Sedative; Stomachic; TB; Tonic.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_...ES=Scutellaria

Old 24-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Registered User

There are a bisected dozen altered skullcaps. Some are VW Bugs and some are Ferraris. Scutellaria serrata is the caster barrow. Scutellaria baicalensis is the Ferrai. One of my suppliers busted up. Drinking a cup of this, would alone forward a balmy airish being into a aerial rage.
NFT Hydroponics