Old 23-07-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phoebe B Phoebe B is offline

Default Fungi

Can anyone help please. A neighbour has a fungi problem.

This weird fungus was growing on our Ash Tree that was dying. It was very
rubbery and hard, and no-one seemed to know what it was. We were advised to
cut the Ash Tree down, which we did but the Tree Surgeon couldn't take the
stump out as it was too big. We have since built a large concrete base over
it and put up a summer house. Believe it or not, that same weird fungus has
appeared on / in / through our carpet in the summer house !! What can we do
about it ?
The fungus that looks the closest is Inonotus Dryadeus. However, the picture
shows it weeping. The fungus coming up through our summer house floor (that
was around the base of the tree and progressing up the trunk in places) is
smooth and if you push it it is very resilient (I.e. you cannot scrape or
break it off, as it just goes a little brown and bends a bit). How on earth
could it have gone through a layer of concrete, the wooden floor of the
summer house and both the underlay and carpet ?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks Phoebe