Old 23-07-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fungi

Can anyone help please. A neighbour has a fungi problem.

This weird fungus was growing on our Ash Tree that was dying. It was very
rubbery and hard, and no-one seemed to know what it was. We were advised to
cut the Ash Tree down, which we did but the Tree Surgeon couldn't take the
stump out as it was too big. We have since built a large concrete base over
it and put up a summer house. Believe it or not, that same weird fungus has
appeared on / in / through our carpet in the summer house !! What can we do
about it ?
The fungus that looks the closest is Inonotus Dryadeus. However, the picture
shows it weeping. The fungus coming up through our summer house floor (that
was around the base of the tree and progressing up the trunk in places) is
smooth and if you push it it is very resilient (I.e. you cannot scrape or
break it off, as it just goes a little brown and bends a bit). How on earth
could it have gone through a layer of concrete, the wooden floor of the
summer house and both the underlay and carpet ?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks Phoebe

Old 23-07-2009, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Phoebe B wrote:

The fungus that looks the closest is Inonotus Dryadeus. However, the picture
shows it weeping. The fungus coming up through our summer house floor (that
was around the base of the tree and progressing up the trunk in places) is
smooth and if you push it it is very resilient (I.e. you cannot scrape or
break it off, as it just goes a little brown and bends a bit). How on earth
could it have gone through a layer of concrete, the wooden floor of the
summer house and both the underlay and carpet ?

As the saying goes, they do, dearie, they do.

I haven't a clue what to do about it, unfortunately.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-07-2009, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Phoebe B writes
[...]

The fungus that you see is just the fruiting body. The main 'plant' is
the mycelium - a mass of fine hairs. So it is possible for the fine
hairs to creep all over the place, and then throw up a fruiting body
when conditions are right. Alternatively, it could be a completely new
growth carried by spores. Fungus spores are very light, and it's a fair
bet to say that the spores of the commoner fungi are everywhere, and
will take root whenever conditions are right (which is how they got into
the dying ash tree in the first place).
--
Kay
Old 23-07-2009, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Phoebe B writes
[...]

Do you have any idea how they can kill it off please?

Old 23-07-2009, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Phoebe B writes

"K" wrote in message
Phoebe B writes
[...]

There's something called Armillatox which is used against honey fungus
in the garden, or they could try one of the DIY dry rot treatments.

I've never had need to kill any fungi, so can't comment on relative
efficacy.

--
Kay

Old 24-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe B View Post
[...]

The fungus is likely continuing to grow on the stump and roots of the ash tree. It is the natural decay process of the wooden remains you left in the ground. Similarly I have had large fungi appearing in my lawn on the roots of a hawthorn tree I chopped down 8 years ago, and subsequent subsidence into the cavities resulting from the decay of those roots.

Whilst you could probably kill off that specific fungus with some kind of antifungal, if you can find some way of injecting it into the stump and roots, almost certainly some other kind of decay will eventually restart in that underground wood.