Old 24-07-2009, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Compost Q

"Wally" wrote in message
I have a plastic compost bin, like an upside down
dustbin, all working very well but just recently when
I remove the lid to add something to the contents, I
am attacked by a million small flies.
Should I do something to get rid of these or are they
doing any good in there ??
If they are working on the compost like the worms do
I can put up with them but if they are doing no good
then they will have to go.

Your input would be appreciated.

Wally

They do help, to some extent, to break down the wet, fruity compost. If
they're a nuisance, add some dryer material or a layer of compost. I like
to use shredded paper and torn up cardboard boxes to mine, and that seems to
help. They're certainly not doing any harm.

Spider