Old 23-07-2009, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost Q

I have a plastic compost bin, like an upside down
dustbin, all working very well but just recently when
I remove the lid to add something to the contents, I
am attacked by a million small flies.
Should I do something to get rid of these or are they
doing any good in there ??
If they are working on the compost like the worms do
I can put up with them but if they are doing no good
then they will have to go.

Your input would be appreciated.

Wally

Old 23-07-2009, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Wally
writes
I have a plastic compost bin, like an upside down
dustbin, all working very well but just recently when
I remove the lid to add something to the contents, I
am attacked by a million small flies.
Should I do something to get rid of these or are they
doing any good in there ??
If they are working on the compost like the worms do
I can put up with them but if they are doing no good
then they will have to go.

Probably sciarid flies (fungus gnats, fungus midges). They can be a
problem in seed trays, but I don't know of any reason that they would be
a problem in a compost bin.

There are biological controls for sciarid flies (But whether they'd
work in the environment of a compost bin is another question.)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-07-2009, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , Wally
writes
I have a plastic compost bin, like an upside down
dustbin, all working very well but just recently when
I remove the lid to add something to the contents, I
am attacked by a million small flies.
Should I do something to get rid of these or are they
doing any good in there ??
If they are working on the compost like the worms do
I can put up with them but if they are doing no good
then they will have to go.

Probably sciarid flies (fungus gnats, fungus midges). They can be a
problem in seed trays, but I don't know of any reason that they would
be a problem in a compost bin.

Or possibly fruit flies?
They'll get bored and go elsewhere when there are no more rotting fruit
smells to attract them.

--
Kay
Old 23-07-2009, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Wally writes
I have a plastic compost bin, like an upside down
dustbin, all working very well but just recently when
I remove the lid to add something to the contents, I
am attacked by a million small flies.
Should I do something to get rid of these or are they
doing any good in there ??
If they are working on the compost like the worms do
I can put up with them but if they are doing no good
then they will have to go.

Probably sciarid flies (fungus gnats, fungus midges). They can be a
problem in seed trays, but I don't know of any reason that they would be a
problem in a compost bin.

Or possibly fruit flies?
They'll get bored and go elsewhere when there are no more rotting fruit
smells to attract them.

We get Fruit Flies at all times of the year in our Green Plastic Darlek
where we pour the veg peelings and fruit bits.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-07-2009, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"K" wrote
[...]

The combination of words Fruit & Flies always reminds me of the classic
Groucho Marx line "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

Sorreeeeeeeeee :-))) Marginally OT.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 24-07-2009, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
I have a plastic compost bin, like an upside down
dustbin, all working very well but just recently when
I remove the lid to add something to the contents, I
am attacked by a million small flies.
Should I do something to get rid of these or are they
doing any good in there ??
If they are working on the compost like the worms do
I can put up with them but if they are doing no good
then they will have to go.

Your input would be appreciated.

Wally

They do help, to some extent, to break down the wet, fruity compost. If
they're a nuisance, add some dryer material or a layer of compost. I like
to use shredded paper and torn up cardboard boxes to mine, and that seems to
help. They're certainly not doing any harm.

Spider

Old 27-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally[_3_] View Post
I have a plastic compost bin, like an upside down
dustbin, all working very well but just recently when
I remove the lid to add something to the contents, I
am attacked by a million small flies.
Should I do something to get rid of these or are they
doing any good in there ??
If they are working on the compost like the worms do
I can put up with them but if they are doing no good
then they will have to go.

Your input would be appreciated.

Wally
Hi Wally,
Add some chopped up onion minus the root part to your bin, there are few flies that appreciate the smell of onion. I discovered this by accident a number of years ago when I first started composting. It worked for me and may well work for you.

Uriel