Old 25-07-2009, 01:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Sludge EATER

I think I did a whole post about the bacteria that Jo Ann's husband added to their
tanks and killed quite a few of their fancy goldfish she used to sell. He thought it
would help break stuff down and instead it released H2S. They had to bleach their
tanks to kill the bacteria off, no other way of getting rid of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_bacteria
http://www.hikingwithafieldmicroscop...t%20Flats.html

the colonies can be purple colored. dont know what color they are dry. Ingrid

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 20:46:51 EDT, ~ jan wrote:

Still a Misty Mountain Product, but I got the name wrong, it is Sludge
EATER.
---
this has been a problem with purple bacteria. they make hydrogen sulfide as a
byproduct. Ingrid

---
What form does this purple bacteria come in? Does it make the water purple?
Is the product purple? Sludge Eater is dry and looks just like BZT... only
the flakes are a tad larger. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago