Old 26-07-2009, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Too much rain, banana trees drowning

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
The rain has been nice, bringing the temperature down, but, the
Banana trees were drowning so I dug them up and brought them
inside. Banana roots are a big bulb, and half of one broke off
and doesn't seem to have bothered it. I planted the broke part
in potting soil and a shoot is growing out so I might get
another plant out of it. The others are doing better. They have
a greener color and are growing good. I think I'll keep them
indoors through the winter and see how they are next spring.

Where bananas are grown here commercially a high rainfall subtropical area
is prefered. The prized plantations are on fertile soil with a slope for
drainage, in some cases quite steep slopes are planted. It seems better
drainage outweighs ease of access.

David