Old 26-07-2009, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Asiatic Lily (Corns/Corms?)

StephGarden wrote:
Hi All

I am about the cut back my Asiatic Lily and noticed there are some new
growth coming from the stem and leaves, are they called corns or
corms?
I did see something on this on BBC Gardeners World about re-planting
them but cannot find anything anywhere.

As you can probably tell I am new to gardening.

Can anyone help?

Thank You
Steph

The growths on the stem at the base of the leaves are called bulbils and
are just one more way that some lilies have of reproducing. Basically when
they are ready to be planted they will start dropping on their own or will
just fall off into your fingers when you touch them. The wild tiger lilies
of North America seem to one that spread largely by bulbils -- they will
cover large areas when they find suitable locations. Oddly, one favored
location seems to be ditches along country roads.

Take a look at this:

http://digdeep.ornamentals-edibles.c...y-bulbils.html

--
John McGaw