Old 25-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Registered User

Default Asiatic Lily (Corns/Corms?)

Hi All

I am about the cut back my Asiatic Lily and noticed there are some new growth coming from the stem and leaves, are they called corns or corms?
I did see something on this on BBC Gardeners World about re-planting them but cannot find anything anywhere.

As you can probably tell I am new to gardening.

Can anyone help?

Thank You
Steph
Old 25-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Registered User

Here are a couple of pictures.

Old 26-07-2009, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"StephGarden" wrote in message

Hi All

I am about the cut back my Asiatic Lily and noticed there are some new
growth coming from the stem and leaves, are they called corns or
corms?
I did see something on this on BBC Gardeners World about re-planting
them but cannot find anything anywhere.

As you can probably tell I am new to gardening.

Can anyone help?

I wait until the lilies have died completely back then dig the bulb in late
fall and carefully separate the bulblet and replant. These babies seem to
take 2-3 years before they start blooming. I don't know if this is the
'right way' to do this but it works for me.

Val

Old 26-07-2009, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/25/2009 8:54 AM, StephGarden wrote:
Hi All

I am about the cut back my Asiatic Lily and noticed there are some new
growth coming from the stem and leaves, are they called corns or
corms?
I did see something on this on BBC Gardeners World about re-planting
them but cannot find anything anywhere.

As you can probably tell I am new to gardening.

Can anyone help?

Thank You
Steph

I think they are immature bulbs. If you remove them carefully so as to
avoid damaging the base, they can be planted in flower pots.

Don't expect any flowers the first growing season. After that season,
actual bulbs will have formed. They can then be moved into the ground.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 26-07-2009, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

StephGarden wrote:
Hi All

I am about the cut back my Asiatic Lily and noticed there are some new
growth coming from the stem and leaves, are they called corns or
corms?
I did see something on this on BBC Gardeners World about re-planting
them but cannot find anything anywhere.

As you can probably tell I am new to gardening.

Can anyone help?

Thank You
Steph

The growths on the stem at the base of the leaves are called bulbils and
are just one more way that some lilies have of reproducing. Basically when
they are ready to be planted they will start dropping on their own or will
just fall off into your fingers when you touch them. The wild tiger lilies
of North America seem to one that spread largely by bulbils -- they will
cover large areas when they find suitable locations. Oddly, one favored
location seems to be ditches along country roads.

Take a look at this:

http://digdeep.ornamentals-edibles.c...y-bulbils.html

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 26-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Registered User

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate your help.
I have some useful information to go on now.

Since I was a bit quick to act I have planted the 3 bulbis in the picture shown in smalll plant pots and go from there. It looks like some more are growing on the plant still so I will go with the other advice and leave them until they fall off and try that method.

Thanks again everyone.
Kind Regards
Steph