Old 26-07-2009, 08:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Blossom end rot

In article , jeff
wrote:

I've been getting what I believe is blossom end rot on my tomatoes.
Being a novice gardener I'm unsure just what is normal tomato growth.
Seems like the tomatoes stop growing at a certain point and after
several weeks the bottom of the tomato turns very dark.

I added eggshells in the bottom of the hole when they were planted,
and I've upped the amount of water they are getting.

Is there something else?

Is it normal for tomatoes to just stop growing? (Big Boy and Better
Boy and they are about 2" or so...)

Jeff

Temperatu85F/55F (good), or 90F+/76F+ (this not good),
Water: Water evenly when top inch of soil is dry.
Hours of sunshine: 5-6 hr. Sun during middle of the day (min.),
16 hr.(max)
Fertilizer: 3 lbs 5-10-10/100 sq.ft.

Most common reason for blossom drop is uneven watering.
Usually tomatoes grow profusely. It's turning color that takes forever,
or so it seems.
--

- Billy

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.* ~Channing E. Phillips

Israeli Settlers Attack Palestinian Land
http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7

http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7