Old 26-07-2009, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Blossom end rot

I've been getting what I believe is blossom end rot on my tomatoes.
Being a novice gardener I'm unsure just what is normal tomato growth.
Seems like the tomatoes stop growing at a certain point and after
several weeks the bottom of the tomato turns very dark.

I added eggshells in the bottom of the hole when they were planted,
and I've upped the amount of water they are getting.

Is there something else?

Is it normal for tomatoes to just stop growing? (Big Boy and Better
Boy and they are about 2" or so...)

Jeff
Old 26-07-2009, 08:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , jeff
wrote:

I've been getting what I believe is blossom end rot on my tomatoes.
Being a novice gardener I'm unsure just what is normal tomato growth.
Seems like the tomatoes stop growing at a certain point and after
several weeks the bottom of the tomato turns very dark.

I added eggshells in the bottom of the hole when they were planted,
and I've upped the amount of water they are getting.

Is there something else?

Is it normal for tomatoes to just stop growing? (Big Boy and Better
Boy and they are about 2" or so...)

Jeff

Temperatu85F/55F (good), or 90F+/76F+ (this not good),
Water: Water evenly when top inch of soil is dry.
Hours of sunshine: 5-6 hr. Sun during middle of the day (min.),
16 hr.(max)
Fertilizer: 3 lbs 5-10-10/100 sq.ft.

Most common reason for blossom drop is uneven watering.
Usually tomatoes grow profusely. It's turning color that takes forever,
or so it seems.
--

- Billy

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.* ~Channing E. Phillips

Israeli Settlers Attack Palestinian Land
http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7

http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7
Old 26-07-2009, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bud Bud is offline

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 01:57:43 -0400, jeff wrote:

I've been getting what I believe is blossom end rot on my tomatoes.

.. . . .
No one has figured it out completely. Add lime to your soil supposedly
helps. Prepare your soil before you ever plant anything, compost does
wonders. I have always watered once a week, a good soaking. Mind, this is
not pot growing and I rather do organic than use fertilizer.
--
Bud
Old 01-08-2009, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Of my 18 plants and 5 varieties, I've had BER on two plants. About a
dozen tomatoes on a Black Krim and two on a Caspian Pink had BER. They
are all together in the same plot, and get watered and fertilized alike.

I've picked four ripe ones so far, with a few to be ready for picking in
a few days. I'm in metro Denver, CO. If we have a long season, I
should have a high yield.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"jeff" wrote in message
I've been getting what I believe is blossom end rot on my tomatoes.
Being a novice gardener I'm unsure just what is normal tomato growth.
Seems like the tomatoes stop growing at a certain point and after several
weeks the bottom of the tomato turns very dark.

I am wondering, is it okay to eat these tomatoes? I usually pitch mine into
the compost, but sometimes I catch the kids eating them (not the brown
part). If it's okay to eat the rest of the tomato, I'll go ahead and let
them.
--S.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Suzanne D." wrote in message

"jeff" wrote in message
I've been getting what I believe is blossom end rot on my tomatoes.
Being a novice gardener I'm unsure just what is normal tomato growth.
Seems like the tomatoes stop growing at a certain point and after several
weeks the bottom of the tomato turns very dark.

I am wondering, is it okay to eat these tomatoes? I usually pitch mine
into the compost, but sometimes I catch the kids eating them (not the
brown part). If it's okay to eat the rest of the tomato, I'll go ahead
and let them.
--S.

I think it would be fine. BER is not a disease, it's a metabolic issue. It
is a calcium deficiency, either lack of same or the plants inability to
process (uneven watering).
Also, it does appear that some varieties (pineapple for me) are more
susceptible than others.
Hope this helps,
Steve

Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote in message

"Suzanne D." wrote in message

I am wondering, is it okay to eat these tomatoes? I usually pitch mine
into the compost, but sometimes I catch the kids eating them (not the
brown part). If it's okay to eat the rest of the tomato, I'll go ahead
and let them.

I think it would be fine. BER is not a disease, it's a metabolic issue. It
is a calcium deficiency, either lack of same or the plants inability to
process (uneven watering).

Great! The kids can eat the "culls," and I can take the good ones inside.

Also, it does appear that some varieties (pineapple for me) are more
susceptible than others.

I see it happening only on my Romas, and then only on those that grow on two
specific plants. I'll check to see if those two drippers are messed up
somehow.
--S.

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
How much lime to treat blossom end rot? [email protected] Gardening 26 28-07-2004 07:02 PM
Tomato brownish ends NOT BLOSSOM END ROT Dan Edible Gardening 2 28-07-2004 06:02 PM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (thanks) Lynn Coffelt Edible Gardening 3 12-05-2003 03:32 AM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (long) Frogleg Edible Gardening 3 01-05-2003 04:32 AM