Old 27-07-2009, 09:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Jerusalem artichoke, where to plant

Darrell Ulm wrote:
Hello. We have a root of dated Jerusalem Artichoke in the
refrigerator. Where is a good local to plant this?

Your warmest spot in full sun.

It would be great
to have a flowering 'food' just spread it's way across an area. We've
heard that a baking flower can be made from the roots. Has anyone ever
tried this?

Also, is there any other Zone 5 perennial that could be planted and be
classified as an edible staple food, like a perennial potato (not that
one exists!) Thanks!

Darrell Ulm

The Jerusalem Artichoke grows more like an annual. In spring it shoots from
the tubers formimg new stems, leaves and flowers. Then in autumn the tops
die down leaving just the tubers underground.

David