Old 27-07-2009, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Jerusalem artichoke, where to plant

Hello. We have a root of dated Jerusalem Artichoke in the
refrigerator. Where is a good local to plant this? It would be great
to have a flowering 'food' just spread it's way across an area. We've
heard that a baking flower can be made from the roots. Has anyone ever
tried this?

Also, is there any other Zone 5 perennial that could be planted and be
classified as an edible staple food, like a perennial potato (not that
one exists!) Thanks!

Darrell Ulm
Old 27-07-2009, 09:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Darrell Ulm wrote:
Hello. We have a root of dated Jerusalem Artichoke in the
refrigerator. Where is a good local to plant this?

Your warmest spot in full sun.

It would be great
to have a flowering 'food' just spread it's way across an area. We've
heard that a baking flower can be made from the roots. Has anyone ever
tried this?

Also, is there any other Zone 5 perennial that could be planted and be
classified as an edible staple food, like a perennial potato (not that
one exists!) Thanks!

Darrell Ulm

The Jerusalem Artichoke grows more like an annual. In spring it shoots from
the tubers formimg new stems, leaves and flowers. Then in autumn the tops
die down leaving just the tubers underground.

David

Old 27-07-2009, 11:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Darrell Ulm said:

Hello. We have a root of dated Jerusalem Artichoke in the
refrigerator. Where is a good local to plant this? It would be great
to have a flowering 'food' just spread it's way across an area.

I've found this growing wild at the edge of the woods back behind
our old house.

Apparently, to get good production of large tubers, you have to
regularly dig them up and replant them in fertile soil. Otherwise, the
chokes will be small and not particularly appealing as table fare.

Also, some people cannot digest the carbohydrates in them, leading
to vast amounts of gas and bloating.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 27-07-2009, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:45:16 -0700 (PDT), Darrell Ulm
wrote:

Hello. We have a root of dated Jerusalem Artichoke in the
refrigerator. Where is a good local to plant this? It would be great
to have a flowering 'food' just spread it's way across an area. We've
heard that a baking flower can be made from the roots. Has anyone ever
tried this?

Also, is there any other Zone 5 perennial that could be planted and be
classified as an edible staple food, like a perennial potato (not that
one exists!) Thanks!

Darrell Ulm

Darrell,

Give some serious thought to location before planting. A good location
might be the next county.
Once you've got them, you pretty well have them forever. Extremely
hard to get rid of or even re-locate. Try to dig them out and miss
just one little piece and in no time you'll have a whole new plot.
Also, be aware that they are of the sunflower family and will get
quite tall. Many of them on our property grow to a height of 8 to 10
feet.
Food-wise they are quite bland but, do have some interesting
gastrointestinal effects. I'd strongly advise against going anywhere
like the theatre or the symphony after partaking of a meal which
included "sunchokes" in any form.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.