Old 27-07-2009, 11:42 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
I have a 4 year old Cordyline now exceeding 12 feet in height. What -
at the moment - is the likely root spread?

Another one is three yrs old and now exceeds six feet. What is its
likely root spread?

I ask because I have concerns over possible drain damage.

Thank you

Jon
As a thought experiment, not a recommendation, if you were to chop the top off and put it in on the ground without the trunk, it would look like some clumping perennial, and not very big. Yet that is all the leaves it has got. A 12ft cordyline is a lot less plant than a "proper" 12ft tree, and so doesn't need any where near as much root as one of those.