Old 26-07-2009, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cordyline roots?

I have a 4 year old Cordyline now exceeding 12 feet in height. What -
at the moment - is the likely root spread?

Another one is three yrs old and now exceeds six feet. What is its
likely root spread?

I ask because I have concerns over possible drain damage.

Thank you

Jon
Old 26-07-2009, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jonathon" wrote in message
I have a 4 year old Cordyline now exceeding 12 feet in height. What -
at the moment - is the likely root spread?

Another one is three yrs old and now exceeds six feet. What is its
likely root spread?

I ask because I have concerns over possible drain damage.

Thank you

Jon

I dug one up of a similar size (12') and the root ball was about 3 foot
diameter. It was mostly a mass of fine roots with the tap root going down as
a continuation of the trunk. Not at all like a normal tree.

mark

Old 26-07-2009, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jonathon" wrote
I have a 4 year old Cordyline now exceeding 12 feet in height. What -
at the moment - is the likely root spread?

Another one is three yrs old and now exceeds six feet. What is its
likely root spread?

I ask because I have concerns over possible drain damage.

Mine seem to go straight down with only small fibrous roots radiating out
from the trunk.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-07-2009, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
len len is offline

sorry to come in here mark,

missed the original thread.

they don't need much root at all, we dug one out just over 2 meters
tall and many trunked had so little root it could almost have fitted
into a 2 gallon pot you should see it now neer looked back.

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:53:37 +0100, "mark"
wrote:
snipped

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 27-07-2009, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
I have a 4 year old Cordyline now exceeding 12 feet in height. What -
at the moment - is the likely root spread?

Another one is three yrs old and now exceeds six feet. What is its
likely root spread?

I ask because I have concerns over possible drain damage.

Thank you

Jon

relax they do not have a reputation as drain damagers
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
I have a 4 year old Cordyline now exceeding 12 feet in height. What -
at the moment - is the likely root spread?

Another one is three yrs old and now exceeds six feet. What is its
likely root spread?

I ask because I have concerns over possible drain damage.

Thank you

Jon
As a thought experiment, not a recommendation, if you were to chop the top off and put it in on the ground without the trunk, it would look like some clumping perennial, and not very big. Yet that is all the leaves it has got. A 12ft cordyline is a lot less plant than a "proper" 12ft tree, and so doesn't need any where near as much root as one of those.