Old 27-07-2009, 11:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Jerusalem artichoke, where to plant

Darrell Ulm said:

Hello. We have a root of dated Jerusalem Artichoke in the
refrigerator. Where is a good local to plant this? It would be great
to have a flowering 'food' just spread it's way across an area.

I've found this growing wild at the edge of the woods back behind
our old house.

Apparently, to get good production of large tubers, you have to
regularly dig them up and replant them in fertile soil. Otherwise, the
chokes will be small and not particularly appealing as table fare.

Also, some people cannot digest the carbohydrates in them, leading
to vast amounts of gas and bloating.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored