Old 27-07-2009, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Jerusalem artichoke, where to plant

In article fd8328da-1dd4-4671-b3b4-f7bfb48529a3
@r2g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, says...
Hello. We have a root of dated Jerusalem Artichoke in the
refrigerator. Where is a good local to plant this? It would be great
to have a flowering 'food' just spread it's way across an area. We've
heard that a baking flower can be made from the roots. Has anyone ever
tried this?

Also, is there any other Zone 5 perennial that could be planted and be
classified as an edible staple food, like a perennial potato (not that
one exists!) Thanks!

Be aware that Jerusalem Artichokes will crop up everywhere after awhile.
They don't just spread by tuber (which they do rather efficiently).

http://www.arthurleej.com/a-creepbellflower.html

A friend of mine calls this "the enemy" and advocates eating it whenever
possible.