Old 27-07-2009, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wilson[_2_] Wilson[_2_] is offline

Default Slugs + Iron Phosphate, Good or bad?

sometime in the recent past Darrell Ulm posted this:
Have a slug problem everywhere. Some 'escar-go' which is Iron
Phosphate seems to do the trick. We are trying not to chem up our food
garden too much. The beer in cup method worked, but this year there
were thousands of slugs. Anyone hear anything good/bad about this?

Of course there were thousands of the slimey *******s this year - the word
got out your were giving away FREE BEER!

I switched to the iron phosphate for just the reason you stated, but I
haven't seen a side by side testing to determine the uptake into the fruit
or edible portions. The beer works, but it seems you need enough beer to
drown them and with the daily rain, it gets diluted quickly.

Chickens and ducks work well if you can fence them out of your garden or
raised beds, but that's a chore in itself.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3