Old 27-07-2009, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Slugs + Iron Phosphate, Good or bad?

Have a slug problem everywhere. Some 'escar-go' which is Iron
Phosphate seems to do the trick. We are trying not to chem up our food
garden too much. The beer in cup method worked, but this year there
were thousands of slugs. Anyone hear anything good/bad about this?
Old 27-07-2009, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Darrell Ulm wrote:

Have a slug problem everywhere. Some 'escar-go' which is Iron
Phosphate seems to do the trick. We are trying not to chem up our food
garden too much. The beer in cup method worked, but this year there
were thousands of slugs. Anyone hear anything good/bad about this?

Nuthin' but good results from "Sluggo" and the Home Despot offering.
It is a salt that breaks down into 2 human nutrients. Can be used to the
day of harvest, and is safe for kids and animals, unless you hit them
with a full box;O)
--

- Billy

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.* ~Channing E. Phillips

Israeli Settlers Attack Palestinian Land
http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7

http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7
Old 27-07-2009, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past Darrell Ulm posted this:
Have a slug problem everywhere. Some 'escar-go' which is Iron
Phosphate seems to do the trick. We are trying not to chem up our food
garden too much. The beer in cup method worked, but this year there
were thousands of slugs. Anyone hear anything good/bad about this?

Of course there were thousands of the slimey *******s this year - the word
got out your were giving away FREE BEER!

I switched to the iron phosphate for just the reason you stated, but I
haven't seen a side by side testing to determine the uptake into the fruit
or edible portions. The beer works, but it seems you need enough beer to
drown them and with the daily rain, it gets diluted quickly.

Chickens and ducks work well if you can fence them out of your garden or
raised beds, but that's a chore in itself.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Old 27-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson[_2_] View Post
[...]

Instead of beer use dry cat food as bait. apparently it works very well. I've not tried it yet as I have been using a slug nematode with excellent results. Not sure what you can do with the slugs when you have caught them.
Bigal
Old 31-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Registered User

Angry

please help are all blue slug pellets harmfull to animals . My neighbour has scattered many (5-6 per inch sq ) in our shared access .... These seem to be smaller and more irregular than the usual and I am deeply worried for my pets and small children .... Please help if u can