Old 27-07-2009, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mark mark is offline

Default Purple Sprouting Broccoli

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
mark wrote:
Sown in the spring and I'm now harvesting the purple sprouting bits.

I wasn't expecting anything until the winter/next spring.

Is this usual?

Mine's been spouting for a month or so. I recall some sorts do this.

I think the summer sprouting variety is a mistake for me. Looking carefully
under the small leaves and around the purple flower buds I have found 100s
of tiny yellow eggs which I assume to be those of the cabbage white
butterfly which have been about in great numbers. Maybe a butterfly net
would be a useful addition to the toolshed.

mark