Old 26-07-2009, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Sown in the spring and I'm now harvesting the purple sprouting bits.

I wasn't expecting anything until the winter/next spring.

Is this usual?

mark

Old 26-07-2009, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Aries writes
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:15:01 +0100, mark wrote:

Sown in the spring and I'm now harvesting the purple sprouting bits.

I wasn't expecting anything until the winter/next spring.

Is this usual?

mark

There are two kinds of purple sprouting broccoli, one sprouts in the late
Summer/Autumn and the other in the following Spring.

Are they different kinds, or does it just depend on when you sow?

My summer sown spring sprouting purple sprouting is still sprouting, and
my neighbour's spring sown is just starting to sprout.
--
Kay
Old 26-07-2009, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
Sown in the spring and I'm now harvesting the purple sprouting bits.

I wasn't expecting anything until the winter/next spring.

Is this usual?

Mine's been spouting for a month or so. I recall some sorts do this.
Old 27-07-2009, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
mark wrote:
Sown in the spring and I'm now harvesting the purple sprouting bits.

I wasn't expecting anything until the winter/next spring.

Is this usual?

Mine's been spouting for a month or so. I recall some sorts do this.

I think the summer sprouting variety is a mistake for me. Looking carefully
under the small leaves and around the purple flower buds I have found 100s
of tiny yellow eggs which I assume to be those of the cabbage white
butterfly which have been about in great numbers. Maybe a butterfly net
would be a useful addition to the toolshed.

mark

Old 27-07-2009, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
I think the summer sprouting variety is a mistake for me. Looking
carefully under the small leaves and around the purple flower buds I have
found 100s of tiny yellow eggs which I assume to be those of the cabbage
white butterfly which have been about in great numbers. Maybe a butterfly
net would be a useful addition to the toolshed.

True, although personally, I would use it over the
broccoli................................. ;p

Old 27-07-2009, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
Sown in the spring and I'm now harvesting the purple sprouting bits.

I wasn't expecting anything until the winter/next spring.

Is this usual?

Mine's been *spouting for a month or so. I recall some sorts do this.

I think the summer sprouting variety is a mistake for me. *Looking carefully
under the small leaves and around the purple flower buds I have found 100s
of tiny yellow eggs which I assume to be those of the cabbage white
butterfly which have been about in great numbers. *Maybe a butterfly net
would be a useful addition to the toolshed.

mark

That's why we don't grow the summer variety Mark.

Judith
Old 27-07-2009, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
Sown in the spring and I'm now harvesting the purple sprouting bits.

I wasn't expecting anything until the winter/next spring.

Is this usual?

Mine's been spouting for a month or so. I recall some sorts do this.

I think the summer sprouting variety is a mistake for me. Looking
carefully
under the small leaves and around the purple flower buds I have found 100s
of tiny yellow eggs which I assume to be those of the cabbage white
butterfly which have been about in great numbers. Maybe a butterfly net
would be a useful addition to the toolshed.

mark

That's why we don't grow the summer variety Mark.

Judith

I'm not going to grow them any more either. I'm sure they wouldn't do me
any harm but seeing all those eggs and tiny caterpillars hasn't endeared me
to the crop!
They may well be pulled up anytime soon.

mark