Old 27-07-2009, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default Jerusalem artichoke, where to plant

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:45:16 -0700 (PDT), Darrell Ulm
wrote:

Hello. We have a root of dated Jerusalem Artichoke in the
refrigerator. Where is a good local to plant this? It would be great
to have a flowering 'food' just spread it's way across an area. We've
heard that a baking flower can be made from the roots. Has anyone ever
tried this?

Also, is there any other Zone 5 perennial that could be planted and be
classified as an edible staple food, like a perennial potato (not that
one exists!) Thanks!

Darrell Ulm

Darrell,

Give some serious thought to location before planting. A good location
might be the next county.
Once you've got them, you pretty well have them forever. Extremely
hard to get rid of or even re-locate. Try to dig them out and miss
just one little piece and in no time you'll have a whole new plot.
Also, be aware that they are of the sunflower family and will get
quite tall. Many of them on our property grow to a height of 8 to 10
feet.
Food-wise they are quite bland but, do have some interesting
gastrointestinal effects. I'd strongly advise against going anywhere
like the theatre or the symphony after partaking of a meal which
included "sunchokes" in any form.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.