Old 27-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Hedgeman Hedgeman is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddymike View Post
Another gardening question I am afraid. Having finished clearing the ivy I
mentioned last week I am left with a wee problem. I want to plant some
laurel hedging to fill in the gaps in the existing hedge but have uncovered
these steps.
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10028?sort=5

If I use rocks to raise the level from the bottom step, then infill over the
steps with soil I will end up with about 18 inch deep soil at the point
where I want to plant the hedge. Does the collective wisdom think my new
hedging plants will be ok with that? Or do I have to start some very heavy
step demolition first.

Mike
We grow and sell stacks of laurel hedging. 18" will be plenty for them unless you are planning on a hedge that is about 20' tall.... What you might want to watch out for are the roots. Laurel is not as bad as stuff like willow and poplar, but its roots do get around and if your steps are not solid.....

Good luck
John
http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk