Old 31-07-2009, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil Gurr Phil Gurr is offline

Default Planting under a tree

"Gribela" wrote in message
Hi, There is a single tall ash tree in a raised bed in my garden and at
the moment it's surrounded by weedy grass. It's in a sunny spot South
facing and not really shadowed by much with a tall wall behind it.
I'd quite like to plant something under the tree but I'm not sure what. I
had thought Bluebells, but I think it might be too sunny for them. Do you
have any ideas?

I'm in Scotland and it's pretty windy, although the spot is fairly
sheltered (for a given value of sheltered!)

Do you mean Scottish bluebells (hairbells) or English bluebells (wild
hyacinths)? It would be the wrong environment for hairbells but English
bluebells would probably do well as they are commonly found on open exposed
ground here in Scotland. I have also found that Hostas do well under trees
here in the Northern Highlands.

Phil