Old 31-07-2009, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting under a tree

Hi, There is a single tall ash tree in a raised bed in my garden and at
the moment it's surrounded by weedy grass. It's in a sunny spot South
facing and not really shadowed by much with a tall wall behind it.
I'd quite like to plant something under the tree but I'm not sure what.
I had thought Bluebells, but I think it might be too sunny for them. Do
you have any ideas?

I'm in Scotland and it's pretty windy, although the spot is fairly
sheltered (for a given value of sheltered!)
Old 31-07-2009, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gribela" wrote in message
Hi, There is a single tall ash tree in a raised bed in my garden and at
the moment it's surrounded by weedy grass. It's in a sunny spot South
facing and not really shadowed by much with a tall wall behind it.
I'd quite like to plant something under the tree but I'm not sure what. I
had thought Bluebells, but I think it might be too sunny for them. Do you
have any ideas?

I'm in Scotland and it's pretty windy, although the spot is fairly
sheltered (for a given value of sheltered!)

Do you mean Scottish bluebells (hairbells) or English bluebells (wild
hyacinths)? It would be the wrong environment for hairbells but English
bluebells would probably do well as they are commonly found on open exposed
ground here in Scotland. I have also found that Hostas do well under trees
here in the Northern Highlands.

Phil

Old 31-07-2009, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-31 19:24:20 +0100, Gribela said:

Hi, There is a single tall ash tree in a raised bed in my garden and at
the moment it's surrounded by weedy grass. It's in a sunny spot South
facing and not really shadowed by much with a tall wall behind it.
I'd quite like to plant something under the tree but I'm not sure what.
I had thought Bluebells, but I think it might be too sunny for them. Do
you have any ideas?

I'm in Scotland and it's pretty windy, although the spot is fairly
sheltered (for a given value of sheltered!)

By 'ash' do you mean Fraxinus which grows to about 100' and is a forest
tree, or Sorbus acuparia, the mountain ash or rowan? You could grow
things like Vinca or daffs and cyclamen under either but a Fraxinus
might give you and your wall considerable problems.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-08-2009, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gribela wrote:
Hi, There is a single tall ash tree in a raised bed in my garden and at
the moment it's surrounded by weedy grass. It's in a sunny spot South
facing and not really shadowed by much with a tall wall behind it.
I'd quite like to plant something under the tree but I'm not sure what.
I had thought Bluebells, but I think it might be too sunny for them. Do
you have any ideas?

The tree will take most of the water out of the soil, I should think -
so choose drought-tolerant plants.

By the way, remember that wild bluebells are protected and its an
offence to dig them up.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks everyone, I think I'll just stick with the bluebells then!
to each of your specific points:

Phil Gurr wrote:
Do you mean Scottish bluebells (hairbells) or English bluebells (wild
hyacinths)?

I'm thinking of English Bluebells

Sacha wrote:

By 'ash' do you mean Fraxinus which grows to about 100' and is a forest
tree, or Sorbus acuparia, the mountain ash or rowan? You could grow
things like Vinca or daffs and cyclamen under either but a Fraxinus
might give you and your wall considerable problems.

I'm fairly certain it's a Fraxinus - it's bl**dy enormous! I think the
wall and the tree have had plenty time to get acquainted - they both
pre-date me.

Mark McIntyre wrote:

By the way, remember that wild bluebells are protected and its an
offence to dig them up.

I'm buying them off ebay - the seller says they're cultivated, so I'm
offloading the responsibility on them

Thanks to all of you again, you're a helpful bunch.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 07:26:09 +0100, Gribela wrote
(in article ):

Phil Gurr wrote:
Do you mean Scottish bluebells (hairbells) or English bluebells (wild
hyacinths)?

I'm thinking of English Bluebells

snip

By the way, remember that wild bluebells are protected and its an
offence to dig them up.

I'm buying them off ebay - the seller says they're cultivated, so I'm
offloading the responsibility on them

In which case, make sure you're getting English bluebells (Hyacinthoides
non-scripta) and not the dreaded Spanish bluebells. We have been given
"English" bluebells before which aren't, and which we keep in quarantine
until they flower to be sure! Many people just don't realise there is a
difference.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Gribela writes
I'm fairly certain it's a Fraxinus - it's bl**dy enormous! I think the
wall and the tree have had plenty time to get acquainted - they both
pre-date me.

Fraxinus has black terminal buds, especially obvious in winter. Very
easy way to identify it.

And if it's that big, you'd recognise rowan by the big bunches of white
flowers followed by orange berries. Ash seeds are 'keys' - green winged
things.
--
Kay
Old 02-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Registered User

If it is Fraxinus, that is not a suitable tree for a back garden. You must keep a close eye on it, and be prepared to chop hard and close to keep it under control.

as to underplanting, my brother has hostas and leptospermum doing well under his, with a row of green eleagnus. He is currently removing the [Spanish] bluebells but has no plans to put in any others.