Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Identify a ?caterpillar

In message , Hugh Newbury
writes
Please help identify a strange (to me) caterpillar. It is about 25mm
long, dirty grey in colour, hairy with long hairs, not furry, two
antennae(?) at one end, and spiky tail(?) at the other end. I found it
this morning on the jamb of the front door in my rural village street.

I have looked in the insect field guide without success. It most
closely resembles the caterpillar of the garden tiger (Arctia caja),
but with fewer and longer hairs and with a tail and antennae.

I have it safe in a plastic bag for now, but it will need to be
released soon, so please reply quickly!

Hugh

Posted and answered in uk.rec.natural-history as Vapourer Moth

BTW - we're awash with them in Leigh, Hugh. Didn't know they crossed the
A37 :-))

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Deepest Dorset