Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identify a ?caterpillar

Please help identify a strange (to me) caterpillar. It is about 25mm
long, dirty grey in colour, hairy with long hairs, not furry, two
antennae(?) at one end, and spiky tail(?) at the other end. I found it
this morning on the jamb of the front door in my rural village street.

I have looked in the insect field guide without success. It most closely
resembles the caterpillar of the garden tiger (Arctia caja), but with
fewer and longer hairs and with a tail and antennae.

I have it safe in a plastic bag for now, but it will need to be released
soon, so please reply quickly!

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org
Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Hugh Newbury
writes
Please help identify a strange (to me) caterpillar. It is about 25mm
long, dirty grey in colour, hairy with long hairs, not furry, two
antennae(?) at one end, and spiky tail(?) at the other end. I found it
this morning on the jamb of the front door in my rural village street.

I have looked in the insect field guide without success. It most
closely resembles the caterpillar of the garden tiger (Arctia caja),
but with fewer and longer hairs and with a tail and antennae.

I have it safe in a plastic bag for now, but it will need to be
released soon, so please reply quickly!

Hugh

Posted and answered in uk.rec.natural-history as Vapourer Moth

BTW - we're awash with them in Leigh, Hugh. Didn't know they crossed the
A37 :-))

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Deepest Dorset
Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Gopher writes
In message , Hugh Newbury
writes
Please help identify a strange (to me) caterpillar. It is about 25mm
long, dirty grey in colour, hairy with long hairs, not furry, two
antennae(?) at one end, and spiky tail(?) at the other end. I found it
this morning on the jamb of the front door in my rural village street.

I have looked in the insect field guide without success. It most
closely resembles the caterpillar of the garden tiger (Arctia caja),
but with fewer and longer hairs and with a tail and antennae.

I have it safe in a plastic bag for now, but it will need to be
released soon, so please reply quickly!

Posted and answered in uk.rec.natural-history as Vapourer Moth

BTW - we're awash with them in Leigh, Hugh. Didn't know they crossed
the A37 :-))

Caterpillars are very specific about their food plants. Do you remember
what you found it on? If not, perhaps someone will tell you what the
food plant is for the vapourer moth caterpillar, so you can release it
in the right place!
--
Kay
Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Gopher writes
In message , Hugh Newbury
writes
[...]

Good point Kay. Mainly broad leaved woodland - esp. oak. Evershot enjoys
many oak trees in the surrounding area. Maybe it was an oak door frame
:-))

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Deepest Dorset
Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Gopher writes
In message , K
writes
Gopher writes
In message , Hugh Newbury
writes
[...]

I didn't read the OP well enough ;-)

Could it have been heading off to find somewhere to pupate?
--
Kay

caterpillar - caterpillar.jpg (1/1) kayla Garden Photos 0 08-07-2007 05:30 PM
caterpillar - caterpillar.jpg (0/1) kayla Garden Photos 0 08-07-2007 05:30 PM
Caterpillar Id? Lilly Gardening 4 12-06-2003 05:32 AM
Bottle Garden caterpillar problem Alwyn Williams United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 09:20 AM