Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Good bye July

Muddymike writes

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
How was July for you?
David Hill

July was pretty good for us, I don't measure rainfall but here in
Leyburn it has been minimal with plenty of sunny days. August on
the other hand is 100% wet so far :-) This could be the first
Saturday morning I have not been able to cut the lawns this
season unless it dries up pretty rapidly. It might also be the
first time I can skip watering the hydrangeas.

W Yorkshire has been wet. OK, we've had some sunny days. But still lots
of rain. I have had to water containers only about twice in the whole
month.

On the other hand, I note from my diary a couple of years ago in July we
were having great fun playing in the park opposite - there had been so
much rain that the water had gathered in big bubbles under the turf,
like grassy water bed, and we were jumping up and down on these. In
places, it had broken through to the surface, and you could stand on the
hole blocking it as the water built up, then leap off and let the water
out in a great muddy fountain. So while this month has been wet, the
garden has been flooded only once, and it isn't as wet as 2007.

Incidentally, I've *never* had to water my hydrangeas ;-)

--
Kay