Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Good bye July

Well that's July out of the way, and I for one won't be sorry to see
the end of it.
Here in my part of South Wales we finished with 17.1 inches of rain in
the month, and August has started with Rain, but we are told that
despite being wetter than normal August will be warmer.
I have noticed in the last couple of weeks a lot of new growth on
trees and shrubs, a lot of Pieris have a great show of Red again, and
this time no fear of frost to knock it back.
How was July for you?
David Hill
Old 01-08-2009, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Well that's July out of the way, and I for one won't be sorry to see
the end of it.
Here in my part of South Wales we finished with 17.1 inches of rain in
the month, and August has started with Rain, but we are told that
despite being wetter than normal August will be warmer.
I have noticed in the last couple of weeks a lot of new growth on
trees and shrubs, a lot of Pieris have a great show of Red again, and
this time no fear of frost to knock it back.
How was July for you?
David Hill

Wet! But, I have my first red tomato!

*strutt*

I realise it might not seem much to you.........................

Old 01-08-2009, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
How was July for you?
David Hill

July was pretty good for us, I don't measure rainfall but here in
Leyburn it has been minimal with plenty of sunny days. August on
the other hand is 100% wet so far :-) This could be the first
Saturday morning I have not been able to cut the lawns this
season unless it dries up pretty rapidly. It might also be the
first time I can skip watering the hydrangeas.

Mike

Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 1 Aug, 10:21, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

Well that's July out of the way, and I for one won't be sorry to see
the end of it.
Here in my part of South Wales we finished with 17.1 inches of rain in
the month, and August has started with Rain, but we are told that
despite being wetter than normal August will be warmer.
I have noticed in the last couple of weeks a lot of new growth on
trees and shrubs, a lot of Pieris have a great show of Red again, and
this time no fear of frost to knock it back.
How was July for you?
David Hill

Wet! But, I have my first red tomato!

*strutt*

I realise it might not seem much to you.........................

Well done,
I havn't had a chance to grow any, I used to plant out half a dozen
plants but not now, and I forget to pot a few.
I have just wondered how Dahlias would do grown Hydroponically.
David Hill
Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 1 Aug, 10:21, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

Well that's July out of the way, and I for one won't be sorry to see
the end of it.
Here in my part of South Wales we finished with 17.1 inches of rain in
the month, and August has started with Rain, but we are told that
despite being wetter than normal August will be warmer.
I have noticed in the last couple of weeks a lot of new growth on
trees and shrubs, a lot of Pieris have a great show of Red again, and
this time no fear of frost to knock it back.
How was July for you?
David Hill

Wet! But, I have my first red tomato!

*strutt*

I realise it might not seem much to you.........................

Well done,

Oh! Thank you very much !!! )

I havn't had a chance to grow any, I used to plant out half a dozen
plants but not now, and I forget to pot a few.
I have just wondered how Dahlias would do grown Hydroponically.

Heh.... well there is certainly enough water around..

Old 01-08-2009, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 02:17:04 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

Well that's July out of the way, and I for one won't be sorry to see
the end of it.
Here in my part of South Wales we finished with 17.1 inches of rain in
the month, and August has started with Rain, but we are told that
despite being wetter than normal August will be warmer.
I have noticed in the last couple of weeks a lot of new growth on
trees and shrubs, a lot of Pieris have a great show of Red again, and
this time no fear of frost to knock it back.
How was July for you?
David Hill

Well, Dave, last night's local weather forecast for Bristol said that
here July was the wettest since 1888, but we didn't have as much rain
as you had.
It's not funny any more.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Muddymike writes

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
How was July for you?
David Hill

July was pretty good for us, I don't measure rainfall but here in
Leyburn it has been minimal with plenty of sunny days. August on
the other hand is 100% wet so far :-) This could be the first
Saturday morning I have not been able to cut the lawns this
season unless it dries up pretty rapidly. It might also be the
first time I can skip watering the hydrangeas.

W Yorkshire has been wet. OK, we've had some sunny days. But still lots
of rain. I have had to water containers only about twice in the whole
month.

On the other hand, I note from my diary a couple of years ago in July we
were having great fun playing in the park opposite - there had been so
much rain that the water had gathered in big bubbles under the turf,
like grassy water bed, and we were jumping up and down on these. In
places, it had broken through to the surface, and you could stand on the
hole blocking it as the water built up, then leap off and let the water
out in a great muddy fountain. So while this month has been wet, the
garden has been flooded only once, and it isn't as wet as 2007.

Incidentally, I've *never* had to water my hydrangeas ;-)

--
Kay

Old 01-08-2009, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message

from Dave Hill contains these words:

Well that's July out of the way, and I for one won't be sorry to see
the end of it.
Here in my part of South Wales we finished with 17.1 inches of rain in
the month, and August has started with Rain, but we are told that
despite being wetter than normal August will be warmer.
I have noticed in the last couple of weeks a lot of new growth on
trees and shrubs, a lot of Pieris have a great show of Red again, and
this time no fear of frost to knock it back.
How was July for you?

Today is damp cool and overcast ( what we usually expect in August
here) but
most of July (and June) has been sunny, warm, and very pleasant. We've
had no floods, storms
or high winds. Its very unusual to reach this time of year with
everything herbaceous in the garden still sturdily upright
and not battered by high winds. Its also been drier than usual; dry
enough that the midge population is well below normal.
A marvellous summer for gardeners and tourists.

Janet (Arran, west Scotland).

It's not just the rain. Here in wet North Staffordshire we have the
central heating on, that means it has been on every month so far, and as
Autumn is rapidly approaching it means that it will have been on every
month this year. Unless, of course, it breaks down!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 1, 10:17*am, Dave Hill wrote:
Well that's July out of the way, and I for one won't be sorry to see
the end of it.
Here in my part of South Wales we finished with 17.1 inches of rain in
the month, and August has started with Rain, but we are told that
despite being wetter than normal August will be warmer.
I have noticed in the last couple of weeks a lot of new growth on
trees and shrubs, a lot of Pieris have a great show of Red again, and
this time no fear of frost to knock it back.
How was July for you?
David Hill

Pretty good in the Auvergne, a few gales but mostly hot and sunny.
Today, we've just come home from eating lunch with friends, it is 39
degrees, it was 40 in Auzon. Too hot to water the wilting plants, too
hot to do anything, maybe I should join my dog who is laying on the
laundry room floor.

Judith

Old 01-08-2009, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-01 10:17:04 +0100, Dave Hill said:

Well that's July out of the way, and I for one won't be sorry to see
the end of it.
Here in my part of South Wales we finished with 17.1 inches of rain in
the month, and August has started with Rain, but we are told that
despite being wetter than normal August will be warmer.
I have noticed in the last couple of weeks a lot of new growth on
trees and shrubs, a lot of Pieris have a great show of Red again, and
this time no fear of frost to knock it back.
How was July for you?
David Hill

Mostly very wet! We've had the odd sunny or partly sunny day and
things have continued to be pretty busy but it seems a long, long time
since we had a genuinely good summer.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-08-2009, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 12:01:51 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

[...]

You've obviously had the fans on blowing it down south!

Pam in Bristol

Bye, Bye International rates! Now you can call abroad for the priceof a UK call! APNADIAL United Kingdom 0 29-07-2009 05:48 PM
Bye bye Jim Webster Broadback United Kingdom 2 07-06-2007 04:21 PM
Bye Bye Irises Jack Gardening 2 29-10-2006 02:58 PM
Bye Bye Roberto United Kingdom 34 30-04-2003 03:23 AM
Bye Bye Hansa (etc.) Shiva Roses 18 20-03-2003 07:56 PM