Old 01-08-2009, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Blossom end rot

"Suzanne D." wrote in message

"jeff" wrote in message
I've been getting what I believe is blossom end rot on my tomatoes.
Being a novice gardener I'm unsure just what is normal tomato growth.
Seems like the tomatoes stop growing at a certain point and after several
weeks the bottom of the tomato turns very dark.

I am wondering, is it okay to eat these tomatoes? I usually pitch mine
into the compost, but sometimes I catch the kids eating them (not the
brown part). If it's okay to eat the rest of the tomato, I'll go ahead
and let them.
--S.

I think it would be fine. BER is not a disease, it's a metabolic issue. It
is a calcium deficiency, either lack of same or the plants inability to
process (uneven watering).
Also, it does appear that some varieties (pineapple for me) are more
susceptible than others.
Hope this helps,
Steve