Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Picking blackcurrants?

On Aug 2, 11:02*am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 02:43:13 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 1, 10:48*am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:39:36 +0100, mogga wrote:
My dad reckons you should just cut the branch off and sit in the house
and remove the berries whilst sat comfortably... is this a good idea?

Yes. It is exactly what we do.

That's what I shall do next year then. *Any advice as to redcurrants

Pull them up and plant blackcurrants? I don't like redcurrants )

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...p#gooseberries
Gooseberries and redcurrants

Training: both produce fruit buds on spurs from older wood and at the base of
previous summer’s growth. They are trained to form a permanent branch framework,
often as cordons, but usually as open-centred bushes on short stems, with 8-10
main branches.

Pruning: summer prune (mid-June/mid July), shortening current season’s growth
back to 5 leaves except those needed to extend or form branches. In winter spur
prune the same shoots, reducing to one to three buds from the base, and shorten
branch leaders by one quarter (to a suitably positioned bud, keeping the centre
of the bush open).
--

Martin

Thanks, as always Martin.