Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Picking blackcurrants?

My dad reckons you should just cut the branch off and sit in the house
and remove the berries whilst sat comfortably... is this a good idea?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 11:48:28 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:39:36 +0100, mogga wrote:

My dad reckons you should just cut the branch off and sit in the house
and remove the berries whilst sat comfortably... is this a good idea?

Yes. It is exactly what we do.

Thanks - any pointers? Or just cut off the bits with fruit on only?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 1, 10:48*am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:39:36 +0100, mogga wrote:
My dad reckons you should just cut the branch off and sit in the house
and remove the berries whilst sat comfortably... is this a good idea?

Yes. It is exactly what we do.
--

Martin

That's what I shall do next year then. Any advice as to redcurrants
Martin?

Judith
Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 2, 11:02*am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 02:43:13 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 1, 10:48*am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:39:36 +0100, mogga wrote:
My dad reckons you should just cut the branch off and sit in the house
and remove the berries whilst sat comfortably... is this a good idea?

Yes. It is exactly what we do.

That's what I shall do next year then. *Any advice as to redcurrants

Pull them up and plant blackcurrants? I don't like redcurrants )

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...p#gooseberries
Gooseberries and redcurrants

Training: both produce fruit buds on spurs from older wood and at the base of
previous summer’s growth. They are trained to form a permanent branch framework,
often as cordons, but usually as open-centred bushes on short stems, with 8-10
main branches.

Pruning: summer prune (mid-June/mid July), shortening current season’s growth
back to 5 leaves except those needed to extend or form branches. In winter spur
prune the same shoots, reducing to one to three buds from the base, and shorten
branch leaders by one quarter (to a suitably positioned bud, keeping the centre
of the bush open).
--

Martin

Thanks, as always Martin.

Judith
Old 15-08-2009, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:39:36 +0100, mogga wrote:

My dad reckons you should just cut the branch off and sit in the house
and remove the berries whilst sat comfortably... is this a good idea?

Yes. It is exactly what we do.

I've heard this advised. But I'd have hardly any branches left if I cut
out all branches with fruit on. You can get 2 years good fruiting from a
branch.

What sort of crop do you get per bush with your regime, martin? I've been
averaging between 7 to 10 lbs per bush for the last 15 years on mine.

Just curious.

Old 18-08-2009, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My dad reckons you should just cut the branch off and sit in the house
and remove the berries whilst sat comfortably... is this a good idea?

Yes. It is exactly what we do.

I've heard this advised. But I'd have hardly any branches left if I cut
out all branches with fruit on. You can get 2 years good fruiting from a
branch.

What sort of crop do you get per bush with your regime, martin? I've been
averaging between 7 to 10 lbs per bush for the last 15 years on mine.

Just curious.

We've never weighed ours. We do get far more than we can cope with.

Can't have too many blackcurrants, such a situation does not exist :-)
But I have grandchildren that love home made blackcurrant syrup. I produce
several gallons a year, in addition to the jams, jellies etc
Old 19-08-2009, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Aug, 21:19, (Jim Jackson) wrote:
Can't have too many blackcurrants, such a situation does not exist :-)
But I have grandchildren that love home made blackcurrant syrup. I produce
several gallons a year, in addition to the jams, jellies etc

Quite. And this I'll be seeing what they taste like squashed and
fermented. The raspberries I fermented earlier on are tasting rather
good.

Matt
Old 21-08-2009, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 04:31:48 -0700 (PDT), matthelliwell
wrote:

On 18 Aug, 21:19, (Jim Jackson) wrote:
Can't have too many blackcurrants, such a situation does not exist :-)
But I have grandchildren that love home made blackcurrant syrup. I produce
several gallons a year, in addition to the jams, jellies etc

Quite. And this I'll be seeing what they taste like squashed and
fermented. The raspberries I fermented earlier on are tasting rather
good.

Matt

Now that's an interesting idea... what do you do to them?
Old 24-08-2009, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Aug, 19:37, mogga wrote:
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 04:31:48 -0700 (PDT), matthelliwell
Quite. And this I'll be seeing what they taste like squashed and
fermented. The raspberries I fermented earlier on are tasting rather
good.

Matt

Now that's an interesting idea... what do you do to them?

Two pounds of raspberries.
Two pints of water
1 or 2 pounds of sugar.
Wine yeast (preferably something with a high alcholol tolerance but
any white wine or champagne yeast will do).

Chop the fruit up in a blender and put the whole lot in a demijohn
Add water, sugar and yeast.
Stick on the airlock and let it bubble away.

Once its stopped bubbling, sieve out the debris, taste and put back
into the demijohn. If it doesn't taste sweet, you can then keep adding
sugar. This will start the fermentation again until its fermented
enough alchohol to kill of the yeast and has reached the level of
sweetness you want.

Let the dead yeast settle to the bottom and syphon off into bottles.

Matt

Blackcurrants graham United Kingdom 15 14-03-2007 10:36 PM
Blackcurrants with legs. Brian United Kingdom 19 25-10-2005 04:21 AM
Pesticides and blackcurrants Peter Robinson United Kingdom 11 16-05-2004 03:09 PM
Pruning blackcurrants - advice please? Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 14 29-07-2003 11:32 AM
Blackcurrants graham Gardening 2 25-07-2003 05:22 AM