Old 02-08-2009, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Marked tomatoes

On 2009-08-02 21:36:14 +0100, K said:

Taking it that you are not growing a small variety then the problem
due to the flowers not being polinated, this produces what we used to
call "chats". When you gut them open there is no pulp and no seed
inside.
David Hill
Well I never !
Never had a "chat" in all my years of growing many different tomato
varieties.
My pollination systems must be OK then.
I wonder if this possible with other fruits and vegetables.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

My husband (former commercial salad crops grower) also calls tiny
tomatoes 'chats' and potato farmers call little, marble-size potatoes
'chats', too. No idea if it has anything to do with pollination for
potatoes, though.

Doubt it, because as of course you know the potato is just an
over-winter storage organ. But a mate of mine was quite surprised the
other day when I told him potatoes produced fruits.

;-)) I'm still grinning at the notion of an over-winter storage organ,
Kay. I can't wait to pass that on to my farming friends. ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com