Old 01-08-2009, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Marked tomatoes

Hi to all,,,,,,,,hope you can help please,,,I have a problem with my
tomates, being at that most of them only get to the size of about 1 inch
dia.
and then turn red, they also feel rough with like a mosaic appearance.
I have cured the splits by reducing the watering and have my door and
windows open all the time.
Is there any reason for this.
I live in cumbria by the way.
Thanks for any help
Len

Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 12:31:19 +0100, "Elcee"
wrote:

Hi to all,,,,,,,,hope you can help please,,,I have a problem with my
tomates, being at that most of them only get to the size of about 1 inch
dia.
and then turn red, they also feel rough with like a mosaic appearance.
I have cured the splits by reducing the watering and have my door and
windows open all the time.
Is there any reason for this.

You're growing Gardener's Delight?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

Hi to all,,,,,,,,hope you can help please,,,I have a problem with my
tomates, *being at that most of them only get to the size of about 1 inch
dia.
and then turn red, they also feel rough with like a mosaic appearance.
I have cured the splits by reducing the watering and have my door and
windows open all the time.
Is there any reason for this.

You're growing Gardener's Delight?

--
*®óñ© *© *²°¹°-°¹

Taking it that you are not growing a small variety then the problem is
due to the flowers not being polinated, this produces what we used to
call "chats". When you gut them open there is no pulp and no seed
inside.
David Hill
Old 02-08-2009, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi and thanks for the reply....well in answer to your questions , I am
growing Shirleys from a seed packet and the tomatoes are
ok inside but just small and why I am concerned is I am throwing half of
them away that are as I described marked
and the rest will not last long as we have to eat three times as many a meal
and of course the skins are a bit tough
with them being small.
Thanks again
Elcee

Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Taking it that you are not growing a small variety then the problem is
due to the flowers not being polinated, this produces what we used to
call "chats". When you gut them open there is no pulp and no seed
inside.
David Hill

Well I never !
Never had a "chat" in all my years of growing many different tomato
varieties.
My pollination systems must be OK then.
I wonder if this possible with other fruits and vegetables.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-02 11:51:33 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
said:

Taking it that you are not growing a small variety then the problem is
due to the flowers not being polinated, this produces what we used to
call "chats". When you gut them open there is no pulp and no seed
inside.
David Hill

Well I never !
Never had a "chat" in all my years of growing many different tomato
varieties.
My pollination systems must be OK then.
I wonder if this possible with other fruits and vegetables.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

My husband (former commercial salad crops grower) also calls tiny
tomatoes 'chats' and potato farmers call little, marble-size potatoes
'chats', too. No idea if it has anything to do with pollination for
potatoes, though.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-08-2009, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2009-08-02 11:51:33 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
said:

[...]

South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Ray will remember grading tomatoes into Pinks, Pink and Whites, Whites
and Blues
David Hill
Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Taking it that you are not growing a small variety then the problem

due to the flowers not being polinated, this produces what we used to
call "chats". When you gut them open there is no pulp and no seed
inside.
David Hill

Well I never !
Never had a "chat" in all my years of growing many different tomato
varieties.
My pollination systems must be OK then.
I wonder if this possible with other fruits and vegetables.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

My husband (former commercial salad crops grower) also calls tiny
tomatoes 'chats' and potato farmers call little, marble-size potatoes
'chats', too. No idea if it has anything to do with pollination for
potatoes, though.

Doubt it, because as of course you know the potato is just an
over-winter storage organ. But a mate of mine was quite surprised the
other day when I told him potatoes produced fruits.
--
Kay
Old 02-08-2009, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi to all,,,,,,,,hope you can help please,,,I have a problem with my
tomates, being at that most of them only get to the size of about 1 inch
dia.
and then turn red, they also feel rough with like a mosaic appearance.
I have cured the splits by reducing the watering and have my door and
windows open all the time.
Is there any reason for this.

You're growing Gardener's Delight?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Taking it that you are not growing a small variety then the problem is
due to the flowers not being polinated, this produces what we used to
call "chats". When you gut them open there is no pulp and no seed
inside.
David Hill

You don't say if you are growing them outside or in a greenhouse.
In my experience Shirley don't do well outside and I'm a lot further
south than you.
I don't know if this is anything to do with it or not.

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-02 11:51:33 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
said:

[...]

He recalls Blues as being kidney shaped, Pinks were the largest, Pink &
White were the best i.e. golf ball size, Pink & White Crosses were one
size down and then there were Chats. He says the colour definition
comes from the colour of the tissue paper that lined the baskets in
which the different sizes were packed, pink paper, pink & white paper
etc. etc. This showed the grade of tomato without having to write it
onto a basket or labe. The baskets held 12lbs of toms and he recalls
that plums and potatoes were packed in them at one time. The salesmen
in the markets had their names stamped on the outside of the baskets
and they charged the Nurseryman x for the use of the basket and the
baskets carried the name of the salesmen, e.g. Monro's, T.J. Poupart
if his spelling and his memory are accurate!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-02 21:36:14 +0100, K said:

[...]

;-)) I'm still grinning at the notion of an over-winter storage organ,
Kay. I can't wait to pass that on to my farming friends. ;-))

Old 03-08-2009, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2009-08-02 11:51:33 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
said:

[...]

Yes, Pinks were the largest, Pink and whites were the most expensive
and the most wanted in market, whites were more a salad tomato and
blues were the mis shapes and sometimes dry splits.
We used to send out in 1/4 bushel boxes that held 12 lbs of fruit, the
boxes were lined with 2 sheets of tisue paper in the apropriate colour
and it was folded over the top of the box when full.
As you say the wholsaler provided the boxes and charged for their use
as well as charging commision, in those days most feuit and veg was
sold on a commission basis.
Cabbage, caulies sold in bushel boxes, lettuce. beans, in half
bushels.
blackberries, strawberries etc were picked into punnets and sold on
flat trays that held 12 punnets.
Those were the days.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the interest folks,,,,,,,I am growing in a greenhouse Pam and now
wondering if it is anything to do with the soil
as I mixed some horse manure in.
Thanks
Elcee

Old 04-08-2009, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

Thanks for the interest folks,,,,,,,I am growing in a greenhouse Pam and now
wondering if it is anything to do with the soil
as I mixed some horse manure in.
Thanks
Elcee

Aaahhh! *Maybe!

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Pam in Bristol- Hide quoted text -

As I said at the start, cut the fruit open, if there is no seed then
they were not polinated.
QED
David Hill