Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Cherry plums/Mirabelles

After our discussion re Sacha's post about a little round red fruit we
noticed whilst out walking (we do that) a lot of golden yellow cherry sized
plums (Mirabelles) on the ground, tasted a couple and found them very sweet,
picked a kilo and made wonderful golden cherry plum/Mirabelle jam.
Since then we have seen lots of similar trees both in gardens, e.g. the
Vicarage, and on the roadside and today came across a couple of red cherry
plum trees just like Sacha's photo. They were on the roadside amongst a few
yellow cherry plum trees, all loaded with fruit, so another jam making
session beckons.
Hugh Fernley would be proud of us, hedgerow jam.

Never noticed this many trees covered in fruit before, must be the cold
winter delaying flowering and no late frosts.

Not seen any Damsons yet though.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden