Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cherry plums/Mirabelles

After our discussion re Sacha's post about a little round red fruit we
noticed whilst out walking (we do that) a lot of golden yellow cherry sized
plums (Mirabelles) on the ground, tasted a couple and found them very sweet,
picked a kilo and made wonderful golden cherry plum/Mirabelle jam.
Since then we have seen lots of similar trees both in gardens, e.g. the
Vicarage, and on the roadside and today came across a couple of red cherry
plum trees just like Sacha's photo. They were on the roadside amongst a few
yellow cherry plum trees, all loaded with fruit, so another jam making
session beckons.
Hugh Fernley would be proud of us, hedgerow jam.

Never noticed this many trees covered in fruit before, must be the cold
winter delaying flowering and no late frosts.

Not seen any Damsons yet though.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-08-2009, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-03 17:55:30 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

After our discussion re Sacha's post about a little round red fruit we
noticed whilst out walking (we do that) a lot of golden yellow cherry sized
plums (Mirabelles) on the ground, tasted a couple and found them very sweet,
picked a kilo and made wonderful golden cherry plum/Mirabelle jam.
Since then we have seen lots of similar trees both in gardens, e.g. the
Vicarage, and on the roadside and today came across a couple of red cherry
plum trees just like Sacha's photo. They were on the roadside amongst a few
yellow cherry plum trees, all loaded with fruit, so another jam making
session beckons.
Hugh Fernley would be proud of us, hedgerow jam.

Never noticed this many trees covered in fruit before, must be the cold
winter delaying flowering and no late frosts.

Not seen any Damsons yet though.

It must be the cold of this winter, don't you think? I hate the idea
of plants being killed off by frosts but I admit I'm torn - I did like
having a proper winter and so, it seems, did many plants.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM