Old 03-08-2009, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default anyone recognise these shrubs

In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Did you mean Dicot06? I don't see any obvious reason to discount
this one as Viburnum tinus. (In life it didn't jump out at me as
Viburnum tinus, but I haven't noticed any of these recently.)

Not V tinus. Is it one of the large leaved shrubby cotoneasters? Eg
lacteus?

It doesn't shout out Cotoneaster to me either, but then I don't know
very many Cotoneasters. However, Stace says that Rosaceae have
alternate leaves; this plant has opposite leaves.

Which is why you're looking at Viburnum (and you're quite right that
Cotoneaster has alternate leaves). Well, it's got the right vein
pattern for V tinus. But the picture looks slightly greyish, the sort
of reflection you get from a slightly thicker waxy coated shiny leaf. V
tinus leaves are shiny, but they look very green - I think you'd be
hard put to get so many of them in a photo to look greyish.

It was in deepish shade, and I had to use flash, which does tend to
distort the colours, and also makes the leaves look more glossy than
they are.

Your leaf tips are a bluntish point. V tinus has a sharper point - the
nagle between the two sides is smaller.

Looking at photographs on the web I see that V. tinus has shortly
acuminate leaf apices, which makes the distinction stronger.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley