Old 24-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Green Water and UV Sterilizer

I can "second" Steve's advice: those of us who live in - shall we say,
"warm" - areas of the country need more UV than those who live up North. I
have a 1200 gal. pond and my UV is rated for 4,000 gallons. Also, the higher
the rating, the faster you can pump water through it, meaning that you may
not have to worry about bypassing portions of your plumbing, or getting into
"step-down" problems. It's not that you *can't* use a smaller UV, it will
just take longer for it to work (more passes). And the sun could regenerate
the algae faster than the UV can take it out! Or, you could just wait a few
weeks to see if your plants will balance it all out. Me, I hate feeding lips
(the only thing you see in green water, when they come up to feed s), so I
"nuke" the pond!

Lee

"Craig Cagle" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,

I live in south Texas (zone 9) and we are already into spring it seems.

The
temp today is 80! Anyway, the algae has definately started earlier than

my
plants, and I can't see my goldfish until they surface! The water is
GREEEEN. My lilies are starting to reach the surface and there are new
signs of plant growth, but I am considering getting a UV for my 1000 gal.
pond to clear it up. Any suggestions of brand or size? Or should I wait

and
see if the plant growth will slow the algae down?

Thanks in advance.
Craig