Old 04-08-2009, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Help identify a plant

On Aug 3, 4:35*pm, John wrote:
First posting here so be gentle with me!
Can anyone help identify a plant that is growing in our garden,http://www..flickr.com/photos/213146...84682659/grows to about a
foot in height, is widespread in what was the previous owners veg
patch so I suspect is edible, I have tried a little and it tastes like
Sorrel, although the leaves are very different.
Has spread over a wide area, not too difficult to remove, but would
like to know what it is before we remove most of it. If it is edible I
will use it rather than compost it!!!
Thanks in anticipation
John

Wild guess: Chenopodium or Atriplex of some kind. These are usually
around a foot or foot and a half or so tall and are common weeds of
cultivated ground and some are grown/used to be grown for medicinal or
culinary purposes. The most famous has the unlikely name of
Chenopodium bonus-henricus
or Good King Henry.

Google images to see examples.
e.g. http://www.seedman.com/image/ht108.jpg

Not a very good fit to your leaf but possible?